I have been running into situations where I tried to debug some FIM MA and MV extension code in VS2008/2010 and hit the "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document." problem even though I was:
- Correctly attaching to the "miiserver.exe" process
- Setting breakpoint that would be hit
- Manually forcing a Debugger.Launch()
- Not running the code in a separate process
- Running VS2008/2010 in Administrator context.
When i started looking at the problem more closely I remembered a similar problem with MIIS pre- SP1 that occurred once framework 2.0 was installed and the MIIServer.exe.config was not forces to run in Framework 1.1. So I had two choices, either force the framework or change my compiling framework to 3.0-3.5 which is natively supported by FIM 2010.
So my initial VS advanced compiling configuration looked as follows:
Once I changed the settings to the settings below, and recompiled the code I was able to debug my code with no issues.